College Begins Here
St. Mary of the Assumption School is an LC-8th grade, eighteen classrooms, educational facility which is located in Uptown Whittier, California. It is part of St. Mary’s Parish and under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
St. Mary’s opened in 1923 with an enrollment of one hundred seven (107) pupils in grades one through six. It was staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Houston, Texas. In August 1984, Sister Patricia Anne Carolan, a Dominican Sister from Houston, Texas was appointed principal. In 1984, she opened the first half day Kindergarten class and brought resources to the school through the Chapter I program.
St. Mary’s opened in 1923 with an enrollment of 107 pupils in grades 1-6.
In October 1, 1987, the city of Whittier experienced an earthquake that caused major damage to the building on Pickering Avenue. This building contained many classrooms, including the library, health room, music room, and science room. This building was condemned and demolished. The convent was also demolished. Construction began on this site to replace the demolished building.
The new building was ready for students in December of 1990. The new facilities included K-3 classrooms, a library, computer rooms, computer rooms, restrooms, and ample office facilities. Smith Hall and four other classrooms were extensively renovated. A covered lunch area, small grass area, and kindergarten playground were added. A sizable gathering area for outdoor assemblies and programs became a focal point of the new school. In order to strengthen the kindergarten program, and to accommodate working parents, a full-day Kindergarten was started in 1991.
In 2010, the Learning Center opened to meet the needs of pre-kindergarten students. An arts program was also established to give students the opportunity to explore the arts. Murals were painted throughout the school and plants were purchased to bring green to the school. In addition, new televisions were installed in the 4-8 grade classrooms. Currently, the school offers a comprehensive Spanish program and an updated technology program featuring one device per student. In the Fall of 2016, Saint Marys broke ground on a new, playground for the Pre-k and early grades to encourage healthy and safe play and foster creativity. The new structure opened in the Winter of 2017.
St. Mary’s offers a comprehensive Spanish program.
St. Mary’s has a strong tradition of providing a spiritual, loving, and challenging place for students to grow in every aspect of their lives. The school seeks to keep this tradition alive through the tireless dedication of its talented and caring faculty and staff. As well as the endless support from clergy, parents, and the community.